2020-2021 Freeride AltaBird Regional Team
The AltaBird Regional Team Program is geared towards fundamental skill development for athletes skiing at a high level on all-terrain at Alta and Snowbird, as well as in Regional IFSA Sanctioned Competitions. This program serves as a pipeline to the Alta/Bird National program and is perfect for athletes who have a desire to improve their big mountain skiing, get more experience skiing challenging terrain, want more air awareness, and who wish to improve their ability in competitions. The Regional Team has flexibility for athletes to compete a lot, or compete for a little, depending on the athlete’s goals; but as a whole, the team is competition centered. This is a program that will challenge and inspire athletes to improve their skiing, and love spending time in the mountains.
The coaching focus will include:
- goal-oriented training
- responsible decision making with regard to ability
- comfort in all-mountain terrain
- composure in a variety of conditions
- finding/ creating an individual style
- competition strategy
Athlete age: 12-18
Athlete Experience: All athletes on this team must be able to ski athletically and confidently on all “black” terrain on all types of snow and variables.
- Ski all terrain at Alta and Snowbird
- Be able to regularly ski 15,000+ vertical feet per day.
- Ski with parallel skis down the fall line in all-terrain including moguls, steeps, trees, and icy slopes.
- Must want to compete in at least several competitions during the year
Athletes new to the program must participate in a try out day in late November to be placed in the correct group. Athletes that don’t possess the proper skill level may be moved to a different group and/or program within SBSEF. If a different group is unavailable, we will do our best to help find you another program that will be a fit. SBSEF holds the right to deny program access based on skill level.
Competition and Events: IFSA sanctioned events
- Dryland 2x weekly Sept - Nov
- Holiday Camp
- On-snow training 1-5 days, Opening - March